Setting the Standard in Leadership
SWOSU offers a select few students the experience of developing their leadership skills through a four-semester program – The President's Leadership Class (PLC).
Each year, approximately 15 of SWOSU’s top entering freshmen are chosen to be President’s Leadership Class Scholars. Each scholar is awarded a $2,000 scholarship and receives four semesters of leadership training that fosters both intellectual and personal growth. The President’s Leadership Class develops leaders who hold a profound understanding of leadership and its responsible application within organizations, communities and their states.
The student scholars participate in:
- Weekly lectures given by SWOSU staff, and business and community leaders
- Discussion groups
- Group projects
- Community service
Eligibility Criteria (must meet one of the three)
- ACT Score of 24 or Higher
- Top 40% of Graduating Class
- Exceptional Activities, Athletics, or Community Service
Scholarships and Benefits
- $1,000 Scholarship/Stipend for the Freshman and Sophomore years.
- Freshman year Residence Hall scholarship valued for the rate of a “regular” double-occupancy room. This scholarship will cover the “regular” room cost per semester for the Freshman year. It can be applied towards the cost of a private room or towards a room in Black Kettle Hall, but will only cover the regular portion of the room rate.
- Early enrollment opportunity.
- Opportunity to meet and learn from business and political leaders from the area, state and nation.
- Approximately 15 freshman students are selected each year.
- Applications will be accepted September 1st through March 1st of the applicants senior year. (PLC Application)
- Selection Committee and SWOSU President makes final selections after personal interviews.
- Class selected by 1st week of May.
- Monthly meetings with SWOSU President.
- Weekly class meetings that will constitute one credit hour per semester.
- Trip to Oklahoma State Capitol during the Spring Semester for Legislative Session.
- Dinner with donors at Governor's Mansion, during the Fall Semester.
- Expand existing leadership pool in student body:This helps develop students to assume leadership roles in student groups and throughout the campus.
- Demonstrate that freshman students are important.
- Students gain better sense of elements of leadership and different leadership styles.
- Outreach program can help SWOSU recruitment of high school scholars.
- Students serve as ambassadors of SWOSU.
- Develop future business, community, and political leaders for Western Oklahoma.
- Alumnus of PLC will become a great support group for future university and alumni projects.