Public Relations & Marketing
News and Events
MLK Collage and Essay Winners Announced by SWOSU CAB
January 22, 2008
In honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., the Collegiate Activities Board at Southwestern Oklahoma State University held a collage and essay contest for area students.
CAB student leader Alta Benner said there were over 80 entries ranging from the elementary to collegiate level.
There were three winners in each level for the collages. The categories in which the contestants competed in were 3rd-5th, 6th-8th, and SWOSU students. The first place winners of the collage won $50 in chamber bucks and a book about Dr. King. The second place winners of the collage won a t-shirt and a book about Dr. King. The third place winners won a book about Dr. King.
There was one winner for each level of the essays. The essays were separated into three categories: 12 and under, 13-18, and a SWOSU student. Each of the winners of the essay won $100 in Chamber bucks and a book about Dr. King.
“This event was a success due to the remarkable efforts of the Weatherford community and surrounding areas to celebrate the ‘Life and Time of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.,’” Benner said.
All of the collages and essays are on display through January 25 in the Memorial Student Center on the SWOSU campus. The public is invited to view the display.
The collage winners were:
Third – Fifth
- 1st – Ashley Rhea of Weatherford West Elementary
- 2nd - Breanna Smith of Weatherford West Elementary
- 3rd – Hima Patel of Watonga Elementary
Sixth – Eighth
- 1st – Merissa Mclean of Weatherford Middle School
- 2nd – Stormee Spencer of Weatherford Middle School
- 3rd – Shreya Patel of Watonga Middle School
- Jessica Hilderbrand of Perry
The essay winners were:
12 and under
- Sarah Noor of Weatherford West Elementary
13 – 18
- Ashlee McCaughtry of Weatherford Middle School
- Jason Choi of Guymon